Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning
Paralytic shellfish poisoning is caused by ingesting a toxin found in mussels, oysters or clams harvested from water where the toxin is present. Onset typically begins between 30 minutes and three hours after ingesting the contaminated food. Symptoms of poisoning include tingling, numbness, paralysis, nausea and vomiting. People can reduce their risk of poisoning by only buying shellfish from reputable sources.
Updated 15 Dec 2022
You need a MyPHO Account to save this page.
Log in to MyPHO
Don’t have a MyPHO account? Register Now
You have successfully created a MyPHO account!
Use MyPHO to save content relevant to you, take online courses and register for subscriptions.