Dr. Samir Patel
Chief, Microbiology and Laboratory Science
Public Health Ontario Laboratory
ON WHY PUBLIC HEALTH ONTARIO IS IMPORTANT
"Understanding infectious diseases in the field of detection, pathogenesis, and transmission is essential for health protection of and promotion for all Ontarians. With PHO’s mandate and vast expertise, we are able to address complex challenges within public health."
Areas of Expertise
- antimicrobial resistance
- hospital-associated infections
- zoonotic diseases
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Philosophy (Innate Immunity and Infectious Disease), University of Toronto
- Master of Science (Innate Immunity and Infectious Disease), University of Toronto
- Fellowship of Canadian Clinical Microbiology (FCCM), Canadian Society of Microbiology
- American Board of Medical Microbiology (ABMM), American Society of Microbiology
PHO Research Interests
- Detection and epidemiology of antimicrobial-resistant organisms.
- Detection of emerging and re-emerging pathogens using next generation sequencing platforms.
PHO Research Activities
- Investigating utility of next generation sequencing platforms to detect rare or emerging pathogens in Ontario.
- Understanding epidemiology of carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae in Ontario.
- Kohler PP, Melano RG, Patel SN, Shafinaz S, Faheem A, Coleman BL, et al. Emergence of Carbapenemase-Producing Enterobacteriaceae, South-Central Ontario, Canada. Emerg Infect Dis. 2018;24(9):1674-82.
- Johnson KO, Nelder MP, Russell C, Li Y, Badiani T, Sander B, Sider D, Patel SN. Clinical manifestations of reported Lyme disease cases in Ontario, Canada: 2005-2014. PLoS One. 2018;13(6):e0198509.
- Kohler P, Eshaghi A, Kim HC, Plevneshi A, Green K, Willey BM, McGeer A, Patel SN; Toronto Invasive Bacterial Diseases Network (TIBDN). Prevalence of vancomycin-variable Enterococcus faecium (VVE) among vanA-positive sterile site isolates and patient factors associated with VVE bacteremia. PLoS One. 2018;13(3):e0193926.
- Johnstone J, Patel SN; Provincial Infectious Diseases Advisory Committee – Infection Prevention and Control (PIDAC-IPC). An emerging multidrug-resistant bacteria. CMAJ. 2017;189(35):E1115.
- Fattouh R, Tijet N, McGeer A, Poutanen SM, Melano RG, Patel SN. What is the appropriate meropenem MIC for screening of carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae in low-prevalence settings? Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015;60(3):1556-9.
Updated 13 Sep 2021
You need a MyPHO Account to save this page.
Log in to MyPHO
Don’t have a MyPHO account? Register Now
You have successfully created a MyPHO account!
Use MyPHO to save content relevant to you, take online courses and register for subscriptions.