Virus - Enteric Kit order#: 390087
This supply pack is sufficient for six virus culture, electron microscopy, PCR and direct antigen testing of faecal specimens containing six sterile containers, six spoons, and six General Test Requisitions.
- Collect specimen as early as possible following the onset of symptoms.
- Specimens should be obtained from:
- Infants/Toddlers (not toilet trained) – Collect faeces sample from soiled diaper or directly from “potty”
- Older Children/Adults – Instruct the patient to defecate into a clean container.
- NOTE: Faeces specimens that have been in contact with water in toilet are unacceptable.
- Aseptically remove cap from vial.
- Using spoon, place approximately 1-2 grams of patient’s faeces into the container, replace and tighten cap.
- Label the specimen container with the patient’s full name, date of collection and one other unique identifier such as the patient’s date of birth or Health Card Number. Failure to provide this information may result in rejection or testing delay.
- Complete all fields of the PHOL requisition: include, the patient’s full name, date of birth, Health Card Number (must match the specimen label), enter ‘Virus Detection’ and/or the suspected viral agent(s) under test description, source of specimen, date of onset, date of collection, physician name and address, and clinical diagnosis.
- Place container in the biohazard bag and seal bag.
- Insert the completed requisition in the pocket on the outside of the sealed biohazard bag.
- To maintain optimum viability, the specimen should be stored and transported at 2 - 8°C or on wet ice. Transport to the laboratory for processing within 48 hours of collection.
- For further information about specimen collection and testing for a specific viral agent refer to the Test Directory Index.
Storage of unused kits:
The kits can be stored at room temperature with stated expiry date - DO NOT USE EXPIRED KITS.
Updated 19 June 2019
You need a MyPHO Account to save this page.
Log in to MyPHO
Don’t have a MyPHO account? Register Now
You have successfully created a MyPHO account!
Use MyPHO to save content relevant to you, take online courses and register for subscriptions.