Dr. Jonathan Gubbay
Public Health Ontario Laboratory
ON WHY PUBLIC HEALTH ONTARIO IS IMPORTANT
"Working at PHO enables me to be involved in the investigation of emerging infectious disease pathogens and further study unique characteristics of previously established pathogens. This rewarding work will improve prevention, clinical management of and public health response to infectious diseases."
Areas of Expertise
- respiratory viruses
- gastrointestinal viruses
- viral molecular epidemiology
Associate Professor, Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto
Associate Professor, Paediatrics, University of Toronto
Staff physician (part-time), Division of Infectious Diseases, Paediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (Medicine), Faculty of Medicine, University of New South Wales
- Master of Medical Science (Clinical Epidemiology), University of Newcastle
PHO Research Interests
- molecular investigation of respiratory viral pathogens
- antiviral resistance in influenza
- applying molecular methods to understanding the molecular epidemiology and genetic heterogeneity of respiratory viruses
PHO Research Activities
- Exploring the clinical utility of viral load measurements of respiratory viruses to better understand: (1) the interplay of viral genetics with clinical presentation and severity of respiratory viral infections (2) whether such quantitation of respiratory viruses can be used to predict infectivity and guide infection control approaches, in particular periods of isolation.
- Evaluating the correlation between viral load and clinical severity/prognosis.
- Surveillance on neuraminidase inhibitor resistance in influenza viruses and evaluating novel drugs for antiviral effects on influenza and other respiratory viruses.
- Developing multiplex assays to be used in certain clinical settings such as fever, rash and sepsis, when a multitude of viruses and bacteria could give an identical clinical presentation.
- Isabel S, Higgins RR, Peci A, Isabel MR, Deeks SL, Gubbay JB. Rotavirus genotypes circulating in Ontario, Canada, before and after implementation of the rotavirus immunization program. Vaccine. 2018;36(15):2033-40.
- Eshaghi A, Duvvuri VR, Isabel S, Banh P, Li A, Peci A, Patel SN, Gubbay JB. Global distribution and evolutionary history of Enterovirus D68, with emphasis on the 2014 outbreak in Ontario, Canada. Front Microbiol. 2017;8:257.
- Granados A, Peci A, McGeer A, Gubbay JB. Influenza and rhinovirus viral load and disease severity in upper respiratory tract infections. J Clin Virol. 2017;86:14-9.
- Duvvuri VR, Granados A, Rosenfeld P, Bahl J, Eshaghi A, Gubbay JB. Genetic diversity and evolutionary insights of respiratory syncytial virus A ON1 genotype: global and local transmission dynamics. Sci Rep. 2015;5:14268.
- Eshaghi A, Duvvuri VR, Lai R, Nadarajah JT, Li A, Patel SN, Low DE, Gubbay JB. Genetic variability of human respiratory syncytial virus A strains circulating in Ontario: a novel genotype with a 72 nucleotide G gene duplication. PLoS One. 2012;7(3):e32807.
View more publications by Dr. Jonathan Gubbay on PubMed.gov
Updated 22 Oct 2019
You need a MyPHO Account to save this page.
Log in to MyPHO
Don’t have a MyPHO account? Register Now
You have successfully created a MyPHO account!
Use MyPHO to save content relevant to you, take online courses and register for subscriptions.